Sunday, August 23, 2009

About the Title

So here is a little late night blurb about the title.

In my final year at Pacific I took creative writing poetry class and, needless to say, I wrote a lot of different work. Of the 15 or so poems I wrote, however, my favorite was one I wrote while two other friends were neglecting me for a song they were writing. Like all good works, it came inexplicably and without warning (paraphrased from Stranger than Fiction and I love it. So without further ado, the poem:

A Sense of Scale

We turn our heads skyward,
just like the turkeys who
drown in the rain.

Wonder.

Awe, maybe as we look up,
mouth agape, God will
reach down our throats,
plucking out our souls:
the little stones.

We’ll ascend
past reasons for looking up.

Past the ozone,
the ionosphere.

Past six of the seven
choirs of angels.

We’ll be set in a vase,
with stars and meteors,
taking place with the rest of the universe;
so God can dip her beak in
and take a drink of water.


I feel there is a certain elegance to the poem and I want to bring that to my blog. Vast: encompassing the whole of the universe, God, human knowledge, the big things. Minuet: little stones, the need for water. And most importantly the wonder that I want to capture. Well back to packing. About 6 hours till my first flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment