Monday, January 18, 2010

Travel Plans

So with semester one finished I am off on another whirlwind adventure.
Today I leave for a city in the south of China, Guangzhou in the
Guangdong province, by train. It'll take a day to get there by train,
but that's why I chose it... I rarely get to go anywhere by train.
Once there I'll spend about three days going around the city with a
travel buddy: Daniel, he is a German student studying Chinese at
Nanjing University. On the 23 I'll split off from Daniel, he'll come
back to Nanjing to meet his Mother and I will head on to Bangkok
Thailand. As of right now I don't have accommodations for Bangkok but
I am asking around. My flight is a bit ludicrous and I should have
expected nothing less from someone who lists his office of work as
Starbucks. I leave at Midnight on the 23 and arrive at 2 am on the
24th in Bangkok. To say I am enthusiastic about this would be a
beautiful lie.

Once on Bangkok, I'll stik around for a few days. Do a little
shopping, a little tourism, and a little resting. On the 25th I am off
to a town in the West-North of Thailand called Mae Sot to join a
volunteer group called Spark! Circus. If you haven't heard about it
yet here's the skinny. Spark! Circus is a group of volunteer circus
performers who travel the to refugee camps, migrant schools,
hospitals and orphanages along the Thai-Burmese border and try and
bring some joy and wonder to those whom they encounter. I found them
back in October and started talking to the leader and they said "Sure
come join us." I'll be with them from about the 25th of Jan to the
10th of Feb. If you want to read more about Spark! look here:
http://www.thespinsterz.com/spark-circus.htm

I'll be back in China/Nanjing by the 13th for Chinese New Year. I will
try and send little posts to Facebook, Twitter, and Blogger as I can
just so you know I am alive.

19/01-20/01 Train to Guangzhou
20/01-23/01 Guangzhou
24/01-25/01 Bangkok
25/01-11/02 Mae Sot and Spark!
11/02-12/02 Bangkok
12/02-13/02 Guangzhou
13/02-20/02 Chinese New Year
22/02 New Semester Starts

Anyway love you all.

--
Iain C. Culp
~~~~
"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you."
Jean-Paul Sartre

No comments:

Post a Comment